Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Boarding Pass Scam

It's been a while since I've had a consumer alert on scams. This one you're about to see was brought to my attention and I had to tell you about it.

Form 2008, comes with a big warning. And if you open it, there's an enticing offer inside.
A fake boarding pass, from a fake airline, and a 1-800-number for you to call to redeem your fake ticket. I asked folks around the Miami Valley, "If you got something like this in the mail, what would you think?"

Eric Carter told me, "It's not giving me enough information I would probably have to call that number to see what it's about."

That's exactly what they want. When you call the 1-800-number, they'll notify you of a time share seminar you'll need to attend. Carter says he's no fool.

"I normally don't go for it but like I say I have a number, I call the number, anytime somebody ask me for my social security card number, no, Bank account number, no, so I don't fall for stuff like this."

Gary Andrews says he's seen something like this before and believes it's a con...and I asked him why?

"Because usually when you get something in the mail like this, when you call the toll free number and they're trying to get a fee out of you before they give you anything and sometimes they don't give you anything."

Andrews knows a golden rule for unsolicited mail.

"anytime you gotta pay something up front for something like this you need back off you need to tear it up and you probably need to call the better business bureau and ask and let them check it out."

Even Carmen Thormburgh, who I caught relaxing at Courthouse Square gots a kick out of the scam mailer.

"I mean they try very hard to make this look like it a legitimate document."

The funniest part to me, their offer for two round-trip airfares to a major international airport of your choice within the continental US. I don't know about you, but when I see international airport...I'm thinking an overseas trip. If you get something like this in the mail, throw it away and save yourself some grief.

No comments: