Monday, March 24, 2008

Truckers Slowing Down?

That's right, truckers aren't driving as fast on the nation's highways. Fuel costs, not the highway patrol, have caused truckers to back off the gas and slow down. Trucking industry officials say slowing a truck down from 75 to 65 miles per hour saves them more than a mile a gallon. That's big when you realize most trucks average from five to eight miles a gallon on diesel fuel. Diesel's at a national average of almost four dollars a gallon, up from $2.74 a year ago.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am supporting our truckers i am from truck driver family my grandfather and my father was truck drivers and now my brother is a truck driver the fuel cost have hert the drivers they cant even make min wage anymore, they have to run harder and longer hours just to make end meat

Kennan Oliphant said...

If truckers ever became a united front with a slowdown or strike, this country would hurt big time. I hope the gas issues are resolved but I'm not going to hold my breath.